Tired of using a pain reliever that has side effects? Many of the medications we assume are safe, are not. For example, Aceteminophen, the main ingredient in Tylenol, is the leading cause of acute liver failure in the US. Many people assume because it is over the counter, then it is completely safe. Also, many people beleive that it is “fixing” the problem, and don’t realize that it is masking the problem. They then end up taking too much for too long. More than a week is too long according to the Mayo article. So, what are some safer alternatives to help manage your pain?
1) Ice. Using ice as a pain reliever and anti inflammatory is very effective and very safe. A good rule is to ice the area for 20 minutes on and 40 minutes off, and repeat this cycle up to 4 times. A good ice pack with velcro to keep it in place will allow you to move around while icing.
2) Biofreeze. A great anti inflammatory and pain reliever is biofreeze spray. This is a topical gel that cools the effected area and will help mask the pain without side effects to your liver. Biofreeze gel is the same as the spray, just applied differently.
3) Chiropractor. Get to your local chiropractor and have them figure out how to help your pain. Many common problems such as neck pain, headaches, back pain, shoulder pain, knee pain, and arthritis can be helped with chiropractic.
4) Massage. Massage can be a great tool to manage muscle pain. Muscles are often the cause of many problems such as tension headaches.
5) Herbal anti inflammatories. There are some powerful natural herbs that can help reduce pain and inflammation. MSM, boswellia, turmeric, yucca root are a few that can help.
By combining these solutions, you can often see fantastic results. Many of these solutions are synergistic, and by doing more than one, you increase your odds of success. In my Grand Rapids chiropractic offices, we have witnessed these synergistic results with numerous patients who have given testimonials.
Dr. Michael Kwast, is a Grand Rapids chiropractor and CEO of iChiro Clinics. He has authored the book, 7 Beliefs Destroying Your Health, and is a wellness lecturer on radio, TV, and for many companies throughout Grand Rapids.