Boost your immune system to avoid colds/flu!
Many people in Grand Rapids have started struggling with colds and flu like symptoms with the recent weather changes. I am often asked what people can do to reduce their chances of developing colds and flu. Here are some ideas:
- Avoid sugar. Sugar can depress the immune system.
- Wash your hands. Hand washing has had a immense positive impact on the worlds health.
- Get some sun. Vitamin D is essential for good immune system function. If you can’t get in the sun, try oral vitamin D. Current recommendations range, however, some studies show 7000IU day is a good number. You can take too much, so you may want to have your numbers tested via blood test.
- Get a massage. Massage helps move your lymphatic system, which is where your white blood cells circulate.
- Get some sleep. Sleep is essential to proper immune system function.
- Exercise. Exercise gets the blood and lymph pumping which cirulates immune system cells.
- Get adjusted. Chiropractic adjustments can help increase immune system function through somatovisceral reflexes as shown in a study.
Adopt these lifestyle changes and see what positive effects happen. Check out the links I provided for more data! Remember, the best way to stay healthy is to keep your body functioning well!
Dr. Michael Kwast is a chiropractor in Grand Rapids, and CEO of iChiro Clinics. He is the author of the book, “7 Beliefs Destroying Your Health“, and his clinics has been awarded the BBB of West Michigan Trust Award for Ethics in 2014, and Grand Rapids Magazines Best of Grand Rapids 2014!